Welcome to the Department of Paediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics.
The Department comprises of two Divisions namely;
- Division of Paediatric Dentistry
- Division of Orthodontics
The two divisions complement each other in the core functions of training undergraduate & Postgraduate students to meet the oral needs of children. This is achieved through the competitive and quality academic programmes offered by the Department.
In addition to undergraduate training in the disciplines of Paediatric Dentistry & orthodontics, the Department offers the following Post graduate academic programmes:
- Masters in Paediatric Dentistry, MDS(Paediatric Dentistry)
- Ph.D in diverse areas of Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
Plans are underway to begin a Masters (MDS) Programme in Orthodontics.
The Department has so far graduated (11) specialists in the discipline of Paediatric Dentistry. Graduate students have been drawn from Kenya and the East Africa Region.
The Department serves the child population in Nairobi and its environs. The services offered includes consultancies in paediatric dentistry and orthodontics that meet the diverse consumers' needs and expectations.
Through the Masters and PhD Programmes diverse studies have been carried out in areas that touch on the epidemiology of oral diseases in children, other studies being clinical and//or laboratory based in nature. Some of the findings arising from these studies have been published in peer-reviewed journals.
Within the mission of the Department is active participation in National Health Policy formulations that will improve on accessibility and management of oral health for children in Kenya through evidence accruing from quality research. Further, the Department looks to developing and reinforcing partnerships and linkages with other institutions and stakeholders who have an interest in oral health for children.
The current academic staff establishment consists of the following:-
- Prof. Masiga BDS (Nbi), MSc (Lond) - Senior Lecturer (Paediatric Dentistry).
- Prof. A Kemoli BDS (Nbi), DGDP, RCS (Eng), MSc. (Amsterdam), PhD (Amsterdam) - Senior Lecturer
- Dr. Edith Ngatia BDS MSc Senior Lecturer/ Chair
- Dr. Peter Okong'o BDS (Nbi), MDS Orthod (Csx) Tutorial Fellow
- Dr. Ngesa BDS, MDS - Lecturer
- Dr. R. Owino BDS, MDS (Nbi) - Lecturer
- Dr. M. K. Muasya BDS, MDS (Nbi) - Lecturer
- Dr. Nathan Psiwa BDS, MSc Lecturer
- Dr. S. Shariff BDS - Tutorial Fellow
DR. EDITH NGATIA BDS MSC, SENIOR LECTURER
Chair, Dept. of Paediatric Dentistry/Orthodontics